Macaroni and Cheese is a very simple dish to make. However, it can be bland and to be honest anyone serving poor Macaroni and Cheese should be punished severely. With that in mind, and to help eradicate corporal punishment for bland cooking, here is my favourite recipe for this cheesy pasta classic.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 cups milk
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3/4 pound shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (3 cups)
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F, 190°C, Gas 5
- In saucepan over medium low heat melt 4 tablespoons butter
- Blend in flour and seasonings, stirring until smooth and bubbly
- Gradually stir in milk; cook and stir until thick and smooth.
- Stir in grated onion and cheese.
- Place cooked drained macaroni in a buttered casserole dish.
- Pour sauce over macaroni and gently mix to blend.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the macaroni.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Sometimes I like to put some sliced tomatoes on just before I add the breadcrumbs. You can experiment with other toppings as well, but the breadcrumbs are important.